Students who feel a sense of belonging are more likely to seek out and use campus resources. Their connectedness to the campus community protects them from stress and has positive downstream impacts on retention. Yet, despite the emphasis many institutions place on the role of the campus community in the academic experience, few adequately measure and track the health of that community. What key metrics can higher ed leaders use to track campus connectedness?
What You'll Learn
- Why measuring community and belonging are as critical as GPA
- How tracking sense of belonging can help institutions promote equity
- Qualitative and quantitative methods for understanding your campus community
- Key metrics like the sense of belonging scale and how to use them
- How to engage students in ways that support persistence, reduce summer melt and improve student satisfaction